Friday, June 7, 2013

Mommy Diaries: Stop & Smell the Roses


I had a moment today.
It's actually something I've been thinking about for a while now.



My whole life I've struggled with the thought of, "Am I good enough?"

Am I a good enough daughter?
...Student?
...Sister?
...Friend?
...Christian?
...Teacher?
...Mentor?
...Worker?
...Wife?

So many areas of my life where I've stopped and put weight into the thoughts of my life and the path I'm on.





Lately, I've been thinking about my daughter.  


Thinking about all she's been through.  



All that she's going through...


......Wondering if I'm being a good enough mommy to her









It's crazy how THESE thoughts are the ones that hit me the hardest.
What a great responsibility we are blessed with.








Then today, Lyla followed me into the bathroom. I was busy cleaning and sorting laundry. Next thing I know I saw her pull herself up to the washer door. She starting watching the clothes and water and starting giggling. I thought it was cute then quickly focused back on wiping down our sink. Then my sweet girl started belly laughing.


She was so entertained by what she saw. 
And every once in a while she was turning and looking at me. 
Seeing if I saw her, inviting me to join her.


I realized that it is moments like this that I can choose to be a better mommy.  Not that cleaning is bad, lord knows I probably could spend more time doing that.  It's that sometimes you have to stop whatever your doing and enjoy your child.  
In that moment.  
In their world.  


So I sat on the floor with her... and found joy in the laundry.
Found the joy in the mundane.

And, in that moment, I felt like I was doing something right.






What mundane joy have you found lately?

4 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post! Makes me so excited to have a baby too! I found your blog through the link up on thewiegands! So glad I did! Just started following you on bloglovin'

    Love,
    Christiana
    www.sunkissedtangles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christiana! I'm following yours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am so glad I came across your blog today. I have been struggling with the same thoughts for some time now. I think every mother does, but I think I do it to the extreme sometimes. But I loved this. Sometimes it's easy to miss the small moments...the moments that really count. Laundry and dishes can wait. Thanks for sharing your heart. I feel you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always the small, simple moments that we remember too. I'm glad I'm not alone is my worries :)

    ReplyDelete