Friday, April 12, 2013

A Girl Can Never Have Too Many Bows


Remember in this post when I talked about the millions of bows I was making while pregnant?

Well, I wanted to share our little bow holder we made for our little miss.
This is by far the easiest little project to do and can add so much character to your baby's nursery.

When picking the frame for the project I knew right away which one I would choose.  

A little backstory:

Two years ago {I can't believe it's been that long!} I was doing my daily Goodwill shopping for random goodies for my wedding decorations.  It was then that I stumbled upon the cutest little wooden frame and I knew right then that I needed it!  

Now, as most of you know, it is important when shopping for thrift store treasures to be sure to look past what an item currently is and to see what it can become.

This was true for this frame.  It had the most ridiculous picture of a cardinal in it.  But I looked past the ugly print and saw the beautiful treasure!  I snatched the $6 frame and happily skipped home knowing it was going to be a perfect addition to my rustic decor.  


I wish I had a better picture of the frame itself but you can see it there in the back. 
We threw that ugly bird print straight in the trash and printed up this cute saying:
Come as you are
Stay as long as you can
We're all family here
So there's no seating plan

I originally wanted to keep the frame to put a wedding picture in it but the glass unfortunately broke on it's commute from Ohio to Alaska.  Bummer.
  
But, fortunately, it was still put to good use...



Which brings me back to the point of this post!

I know, I know,  you can say it
"FINALLY!"

To start with I took some lace ribbon I had laying around (another left over wedding item) and stapled it to the back of the frame.  


I had to be stingy with it because I only had just enough ribbon to make it work.  But if I had more I would've put more rows in there and made the strips longer so I could have used more staples.

Now, my husband doesn't allow me to use a drill {for good reason!} so I had to recruit him for this next part


He drilled evenly spaced holes all along the bottom of the frame


Next, We manually screwed in these little cup hooks that we also had here on hand for the ribbon holder



These were a great size to hold headbands!


I quickly realized once it was on the wall that it looked pretty bare without any fabric or anything behind it.



I grabbed a piece of foam board from our office and cut it down to fit in the back of the frame




I took the last little bit chevron fabric we had on hand and simply hot glued it onto the board.  I just barely had enough fabric to cover the whole surface so to cover up the trail I added some different lace on either ends too




Ta-Da!  I love how it adds a little rustic touch to her room.


I put the bows Lyla wears most often on there and the other bows are stored nicely on her bookshelf in a little birdcage that was left over from one of my bridal showers


I'm very pleased with the way that the project turned out.  

And even more pleased with this little number--

Total project cost: $0

For the win!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute Rach! I'm stealing this! :) Now to be on the lookout for a cute frame! :)

    ReplyDelete