Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Old Friend


I made my first blanket today and I'm pretty proud of myself.  However, this was not that easy of a task because I made it out of my own baby blanket.

Now, it wasn't so much of a blanket as it was a large piece of fabric folded in half and stitched together.  Over the years all the stuffing fell out and that's all that was left.  That, and a bunch of holes and stains. But does it make me love this blanket any less?  No way.  I was so attatched to this blanket that it even had a place in my room all through high school.   I didn't take it to college with me, but I would come home to it every break!

I thought it would be special to make a blanket for this little baby (and all my future babies) using a piece of the blanket.  Now, since I haven't made a blanket before, this simple little minky backing was all I did.  Maybe by the next kid I will know how to make a quilt or something crazy like that.

After about two hour and a half hours of cutting and pinning (hey, no judging.  It's my first time, it was a lot of pressure, and really old stretched out fabric that I was trying to make straight!  And about 1am when I was doing this!) the blanket is now made.  Smells and all :)  

Let's hope one day this baby can appreciate the amount of love it took to take a pair of scissors to one of my most cherished possessions!

No comments:

Post a Comment